
Anglican Parish of Blenheim: strengthening to the Church of the Nativity
Author(s) -
Cynthia Davidson
Publication year - 1983
Publication title -
bulletin of the new zealand society for earthquake engineering/nzsee quarterly bulletin
Language(s) - English
Resource type - Journals
SCImago Journal Rank - 0.917
H-Index - 36
eISSN - 2324-1543
pISSN - 1174-9857
DOI - 10.5459/bnzsee.16.1.64-68
Subject(s) - nave , masonry , brick , tower , foundation (evidence) , reinforced concrete , engineering , forensic engineering , structural engineering , civil engineering , visual arts , archaeology , art , history
The Church of the Nativity in
Blenheim is in two distinct structural types. The nave, narthex and tower are
of brick veneered reinforced concrete
and steel portal frames constructed
about 1959 to replace an old timber building. Check calculations showed this to generally meet latest code requirements.
The transept and chancel was, prior to the strengthening work, of unreinforced brick masonry built about 1906 - with some reinforced buttresses and reinforced concrete bands. The whole building is roofed with concrete tiles.
The initial assessment of the building was made in terms of Clause 301A of the Municipal Corporation Act in 1976.
This building is regarded as one of Blenheim's finest older buildings and the members of the Church did not wish to lose, or detract from, its character, either by obvious strengthening or rebuilding.