z-logo
open-access-imgOpen Access
THE ATTRIBUTION OF FORGOTTEN ASSEMBLAGE FOUND NEAR VASYLKIV VILLAGE
Author(s) -
Л. И. Бабенко,
Oksana Lifantii
Publication year - 2019
Publication title -
arheologìâ ì davnâ ìstorìâ ukraïni
Language(s) - English
Resource type - Journals
eISSN - 2708-6143
pISSN - 2227-4952
DOI - 10.37445/adiu.2019.04.06
Subject(s) - assemblage (archaeology) , archaeology , exhibition , excavation , interpretation (philosophy) , history , saint , art history , philosophy , linguistics
In 1895 Yulia F. Abaza made the archaeological excavations near Vasylkiv village of Zvenyhorod district. The found materials were given to the Archaeological museum of Kiev Saint Vladimir Imperial University that has not survived till nowadays. In 1899 these artefacts were presented as one Scythian burial mound assemblage at the 11th Archaeological Congress exhibition in Kyiv, though the analysis of collection’s items demonstrate their cultural and historical broad range. There are ca. fifteen vessels of Trypillia and one — of Middle Dnieper cultures. The biggest part of the assemblage under discussion is presented by two horizons of Scythian Age. Also one sword belongs to the Sarmatian culture. This diversity makes impossible to assume belonging of all described items to one archaeological complex. A little bit later the finials (pole-tops) discovered by Yulia F. Abaza were published as finds from Kaniv district (B. I. and V. A. Khanenko) or as the finds from the Mezhirichka from Balta (A. A. Bobrinskii). The last passport was recognized by scholars and was repeated in a lot of analytical papers. However no paper mentioned these finials among the finds explored by Yu. F. Abaza in 1895 at the barrows near Mezhirichka village. It is absolutely clear now that their interpretation as the Mezhirichka’s finds was mistaken. The arguments on the matter are fully described in the paper. Now due to our «investigation» the main part of collection of Yulia F. Abaza’s excavation in 1895 in Zvenyhorod district was reinvented again. Now almost all artefacts from this works near Vasylkiv village (modern Cherkasy Region of Ukraine) are kept in National Museum of Ukrainian History. The one finial was given in 1950 to M. F. Sumtsov Kharkiv Historical Museum.

The content you want is available to Zendy users.

Already have an account? Click here to sign in.
Having issues? You can contact us here