Premium
Excavations at ed‐Dur (Umm al‐Qaiwain, U.A.E.) — Preliminary report on the second Belgian season (1988)
Author(s) -
HAERINCK E.,
METDEPENNINGHEN C.,
STEVENS K. G.
Publication year - 1991
Publication title -
arabian archaeology and epigraphy
Language(s) - English
Resource type - Journals
SCImago Journal Rank - 0.384
H-Index - 18
eISSN - 1600-0471
pISSN - 0905-7196
DOI - 10.1111/j.1600-0471.1991.tb00015.x
Subject(s) - excavation , archaeology , temple , ancient history , bronze , art , frit , geography , history
The results of seven weeks of research in 1988 by a Belgian team from Gent University at ed‐Dur, in the Emirate of Umm al‐Qaiwain, are presented. Excavations were conducted in the southern part of the site. Close to the temple (area M) were found a well, three free‐standing altars, and a stone basin with a long Aramaic inscription. It is suggested now that the temple was dedicated to the sun‐god Shamash. The graveyard (area N), 100 m to the north of the temple, provided important information on burial rites. A large, free‐standing grave still contained many incised bone/ivory plaques. Around this tomb were found several smaller graves, five of which were unplundered. Finds included glass vessels, bronze objects (rings, bracelets, bells, etc.) and a great variety of beads made of semiprecious stones, glass paste, and frit.