We are looking for a UI Designer for web/mobile who likes to design impressive user interfaces and wants to work with a great team on an inspiring mission to provide people with unfettered access to relevant and trusted academic literature.
Zendy.io, a product of Knowledge E, is a massive online library created to provide individuals with affordable access to a wealth of information in the form of journals, e-books, magazines and content mediums.
You will join a great and fast-moving team and a growing company with a progressive and inclusive culture. We are currently looking for a
/UI Designer to join us and help us enhance our product design and make our product even more appealing to our growing number of users across the Middle East and North Africa. As the /UI Designer you will be responsible for the overall design and design strategy of the Zendy product. Today we are 40 colleagues of which 10 work with Zendy, and we are growing fast. This will be our first central design role, meaning you need to have a high degree of self-leadership. It also means you will play a crucial role in how the Zendy product looks.
- Passionate about delivering amazing experiences through your designs of interfaces on responsive web applications
- Organised, with an eye for detail and able to bring ideas to life through prototyping methods such as both low and high-fidelity wireframes
- Keen on producing effective design solutions that satisfy the needs of our company vision and brand identity
- A self-starting team player who can work independently
- Comfortable driving the design process, from need/idea
- A strong communicator with the ability to effectively receive and give feedback
- Aligned with our values: learning, authenticity and inclusion
What you will do?
- Lead all Zendy app/web designs from start to finish
- Be part of the product and development process
- Ensure all Zendy designs are optimised for a high-quality experience
- Own, and contribute to, our design system and set its roadmap
- Together with the team, set the design direction and vision for Zendy and its design system, making sure we are always reliable, easy to use, and accessible
- Anchor the vision in the organisation and set a plan to achieve it using efficient design methods and applying best practices
- Align our product design with our brand design
- Ensure our tech-driven design approach remains consistent, efficient and scalable
- Keep up to date with best practices within UI design
Minimum job qualifications
- Experience in designing for web, responsive websites and applications
- Experience in designing for touch first/mobile
- Exceptional knowledge of either Sketch, Adobe XD, Figma, InVision or equivalent software
- Exceptional knowledge of Zeplin or equivalent tool
- Especially ideate and prototyping (low and high-fidelity wireframes/mockups)
- Very comfortable with all core design principles (color, layout, typography etc.)
- Research skills, you need to be able to justify your design decision based on research
- Experience creating a design system from scratch and working with design systems
- Understanding of html, css and accessibility
- At least 4 years of UI design experience
- Experience in start-ups
- Creating interactive wireframes/mock-ups
Zendy is an online platform created to provide individuals with access to scholarly research and literature. Zendy originates from the notion of building a more knowledgeable world, as there has never been a time where easy, affordable access to content has been more needed.
Current scholarly databases exist behind crippling paywalls or require university facilitated access, which is a challenge for individuals across the globe not affiliated with institutions. Access to scientific publications is particularly troublesome in developing countries, where many universities cannot afford the subscription databases required for advancing research and studies.
Zendy is working to remove barriers from scholarly discovery to make academic literature affordable and accessible to everyone, all academic and non-academic professionals, students, and knowledge enthusiasts.
We strive to build a world where:
- Scholarly discovery lives barrier-free.
- Every individual across the world has access to academic research and literature.
- Individuals across the world can take evidence-based steps towards building a better tomorrow.
Zendy is developed by Knowledge E in a growing collaboration with researchers, students, institutions, and publishers to facilitate the democratisation of knowledge. Discoverable, reliable, and trustworthy sources are crucial to learning and ultimately, a better quality of life.
To learn a bit more about Zendy and why we exist make sure to check out zendy.io/about.
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org